Starting university can be intimidating, but involving yourself in your school’s community can make the transition easier! Here are some ways to get involved in UWindsor’s community!
University of Windsor Student Alliance (UWSA)
The UWSA is UWindsor’s full-time undergraduate student union, representing and advocating for UWindsor’s student body since 1928! If you’re interested in student government, joining the UWSA may be for you. The Alliance is composed of an Executive Team and a Board of Directors. The executive team is elected during the annual Election Period, which begins in February, and there are four positions up for grabs: the President, VP Finance and Operations, VP Student Life, and VP Advocacy. Each of these students play an integral role in enhancing student life at UWindsor. The Board of Directors is also elected and represent the students in each Faculty of the school, participating in decision making that directly affects their academic stream.
In addition to representing students, the student union also funds and delivers a variety of services for students to access and participate in. If you’re not interested in running in an election and representing thousands of students, engaging with these services can enhance your UWindsor experience by connecting you with friends, new experiences, and fun memories!
Some UWSA services available to students are:
- Campus Pride Centre: The purpose of this centre is to provide a positive space for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Questioning, Two-Spirited, Intersex, Pansexual and Asexual individuals and allies at UWindsor. The centre organizes events and celebrations for international days of queer celebration, and focuses on the key pillars of diversity, safety, empathy, and education.
- Peer Support Centre: This centre connects students with trained and vetted peers who can provide helpful support. The program runs five days a week and offers flexible, drop-in support to students who may need it – the best part is that you don’t even need to book an appointment! Whether you’re interested in volunteering to provide peer support, or would like to receive some yourself, this centre can help you improve your life on campus!
- Campus Food Pantry: University is expensive, and the Campus Food Pantry recognizes that. It’s open to all registered students and provides food aid assistance for those who need it. This is an amazing opportunity to get involved in the UWindsor community (as the Pantry is always looking for more members to help out) or receive assistance from an important service that is dedicated to helping students.
- Womxn’s Centre: This actively feminist and pro-choice centre is dedicated to providing a safe space for students to access. Whether it be connecting students with resources and information or simply a positive environment, the Womxn’s centre welcomes students of all backgrounds. The Centre is also an opportunity for students to volunteer and gain experience with a cause they’re passionate about – interested students should email them about opportunities!
- Walk Safe: The UWSA is also home to Walk Safe, a program dedicated to ensuring UWindsor students feel safe on campus. It is a free service students can contact to request someone to walk with them to their home or car. In addition to being a service students can access, Walk Safe is also a great opportunity to get involved on campus. They’re always looking for volunteers; contact the coordinator if you’re interested!
Blue Gold Pack
Another way to get involved, make friends, and contribute to UWindsor’s community is the Blue Gold Pack! The Blue Gold Pack is the UWSA’s central volunteer base, responsible for fostering school spirit and energy! Some benefits of being involved in the Pack are free access to all UWSA events, such as Welcome Week and Frost Week, documentation on your co-curricular record, and free Lancer and UWSA gear. You also complete exclusive leadership training and have access to more leadership opportunities on campus!
UWindsor is home to over 150 student groups on campus – with so many choices, it’s almost guaranteed that you will find a club that serves the niche you’re interested in! From chess club to Relay for Life, the Anime Institute to FIRST Robotics, students can explore their options on the UWSA Hub!
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
That’s okay too – UWindsor has developed a Student Life Enhancement Fund that supports student-run initiatives dedicated to enhancing the UWindsor experience! Any registered UWindsor student or recognized group can apply to the Fund in hopes of securing financial assistance to make their initiative a reality. Examples of past initiatives that have been successful are an Anti-Bullying Week at UWindsor, funding for students to attend a Sports Management Conference, and even a service-learning experience at UWindsor!
At UWindsor, there is truly something for everyone, and whether you’re in a club, helping implement an essential student service, or fostering school spirit, you’ll be involved in a vibrant student community that will leave you with great memories! Make sure to get involved in something you love, make friends, and have a good time!